Springtime Quinoa Salad
I love the idea that a recipe is a method rather than a strict list of ingredients. Quinoa salad is a perfect example. Once you understand the method, you can get creative and just use whatever you have around the house to come up with an endless list of dishes.
MY QUINOA SALAD METHOD:
- Start with cooked quinoa, warm or cold.
- Add assortment of veggies, cheese, beans, herbs, and spices.
- Mix in a yummy dressing!
I recently put my quinoa salad method to the test for a picnic birthday party on a rare, hot and sunny day in San Francisco. I thought what better theme for the salad than Seasonal Spring vegetables? So I grabbed some organic asparagus spears and fresh mint at the farmer’s market and I was on my way. Here’s what I came up with.
SPRINGTIME QUINOA SALAD RECIPE
INGREDIENTS: Use organic whenever possible
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 4-5 asparagus spears
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 2-3 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoons fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add quinoa and water in a medium saucepan, bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 15 minutes undisturbed.
- Meanwhile, wash the asparagus and boil in water for just a few minutes. Immediately drain and rinse the asparagus in cold water. Cut spears into 1- inch pieces.
- Once quinoa is done, remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Transfer to a serving bowl and allow to cool.
- Add asparagus, tomatoes, green onions, parsley and mint to the quinoa and stir to combine.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine lemon juice and olive oil and whisk to emulsify.
- Add dressing and salt and pepper to salad and stir to combine.
NOTE: You can prepare the quinoa ahead of time and store in the refrigerator. Or…Use up your leftover quinoa to make this salad for a great time + money-saving idea! Here are some other seasonal Spring veggies you could try: peas, artichokes, beets, fennel, radishes, fava beans.
I would love to hear what you come up with using this quinoa salad method. Please leave a comment on share with us.
Lots of Love,